Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Last Days in Hawaii

Thursday: we headed to Hunauma Bay for a morning of snorkeling. They only allow so many people in at one time so we were lucky we got there when we did. The bay is beautiful. We watched the "Don't feed the fish, don't walk on the reef" video and headed down the long hillside to the bay. The water was so blue and clear. I thought it was rather chilly and am not one for snorkeling so I just waded out on the edge of the reef. I saw quite a few fishies. The boys all snorkeled and saw a little more. Miller had a rough morning and didn't like anyone leaving him to go snorkel. I felt like he was a pain but others didn't think he was that bad (at least they claimed he wasn't that annoying).




Afterwards, we headed back to rest (hoping Miller would sleep). We had a Polynesian Luau to attend that evening. Of course, he barely rested so the evening was a long, trying one. We arrived at the cultural center, walked around a little, had dinner, and then hit the big show. It was great. The cultural center was very pretty and had a ton of lush plants. I was sick of taking pictures and skimped on it. I wish I hadn't. During the show, they didn't let us take pictures but the costumes were amazing.

Miller did a pretty good job considering how late it was. We lucked out and had some open seats next to us so he had his own chair and could move a little. He even said at one point "Mommy, it's hard to sit still." We kept telling him to wait for the fire and he did. He loved the guys that twirled the flames and he also liked some of the songs.

The entire trip, all I wanted was a fruity drink in a coconut or a pineapple. I finally got one with dinner. Too bad it didn't have a fantastic floater of rum to top it off. Oh well. It was good anyways. Here are a few shots at the cultural center. (Miller was trying to give a thumbs up but it looks retarded.)






Friday: we went back to the cultural center to walk around the villages. At this point, I was vacationed out and Millered out. He was not in the mood to sit through any of the presentations. Ryan and I thought we would let him run from village to village, get our boat ride, and make it through the day. The rest of the family could take their time and sit through the presentations and spend more time without us bugging them. Let's just say, we did a lot of walking, I was hot, tired and cranky. Miller was hot, tired and cranky. I think Ryan was just plain cranky. We missed the last boat ride before there was an hour break. In that hour, they do a river parade. It was cool but Miller wasn't having much of that either. Luckily, Erik took care of him for a bit. He knew we were going to drown him if he was left with us.Then we caught the next boat ride back through the village. Miller liked it and was behaving a little better. We stopped and had shaved ice and ice cream. I purchased a few items from the gift shop and we convinced the rest of the family it was time to go. I feel bad we rushed through because it was super interesting and beautiful. I don't think I took a picture that entire day. Darn it. I know Erik took some good ones so I am waiting for those.

When we got home Sean cooked up some steaks and Ryan made some fresh shrimp we picked up from the shrimp farm. We ate like kings that evening.

Saturday: our last day on the island. We pretty much hung out at home, packed, and Miller and Ryan got in one last beach day. I was sad to leave because it was a good time but happy to be heading home. I was vacationed out. I was looking forward to my own bed. The downside was we still had that long flight home. Our flight left Honolulu at 9:45pm (late of course, it was after 10pm). Miller wouldn't rest until we got on the plane so again, the most trying part was waiting to get on the plane in the airport. I already blogged about our actual flight so you know we survived and made it home ok. 




Bye bye Hawaii. I am not sure when or if we will return but it was fun. Joann and Marshall, thank you for the wonderful vacation and family time. Erik and Sean, thank you for playing with your nephew and relieving Ryan and I of our parental duties. Now, I challenge my parents to take us on a vacation like this. :)

2 Comments:

At 10:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been fun living vicariously through your vacation adventures. Now I challenge my parents to take us on a vacation like that! :)

Shannon

 
At 7:32 PM , Blogger Crissy Rae said...

Looks like you guys had a great time there. Beautiful pictures!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home